Request for feedback

Draft annual plan 2019/20.

Tēnā koutou katoa.

The role of my Office is to help you hold public organisations to account for their use of public money. The purpose of our work, and everything we do, is about improving trust and promoting value across the public sector.

We use information from our annual audits of every public organisation to help you scrutinise the effectiveness, efficiency, and accountability of public entities to ensure that they are operating as Parliament intended. Our non-discretionary annual audit work consumes nearly 90% of our resources. The remaining 10% is used on our other work, such as performance audits, inquiries, and special studies. Our inquiries work can generally not be planned for, but our performance audits and special studies are included in an annual work programme. This annual work programme in turn sits within the context of our multi-year work programme planning.

We now seek your views on our proposed annual work programme for 2019/20, and the indicative plan for the following two years.

We want our work to be relevant, useful, and focused on issues that you consider important. Consultation with Parliament helps to ensure that we invest our resources in work that will make the most difference in improving the performance of public organisations.

With that in mind, I am pleased to present you with our Draft annual plan 2019/20. This year, we plan to move into the second year of our three-year programme of work on Procurement. Given that this is a three-year programme of work, much of this work was described in our previous annual plan. However, we have also planned work in new areas and increased emphasis in others. These changes are discussed in Parts 2 and 3. In summary, they are:

  • work specifically focused on public sector integrity and ethics;
  • an increase in emphasis on the Provincial Growth Fund;
  • a stronger emphasis on how programmes that provide housing for New Zealanders are being carried out;
  • continuing our programme of updating and expanding our good practice guidance; and
  • increased emphasis on providing assurance to Parliament and New Zealanders that the Government has spent public money in line with Parliament’s authority.

In subsequent years, we are considering increasing our focus on how public entities are working to deliver outcomes for New Zealanders

We request your feedback by Friday 31 May 2019 so that our final annual plan can be developed and tabled in Parliament before the end of June 2019 as required by the Public Audit Act 2001.

The changing operating environment in which we work means that we need the agility to respond to unexpected events. Although we plan our work carefully, as has been the case in the current year we might need to reprioritise parts of our work programme to focus on new or urgent issues. Any substantial changes to our plan will be reported to Parliament. I look forward to receiving your feedback, which my staff and I will consider when finalising our annual plan for 2019/20.

Nāku noa, nā

Signature - JR

John Ryan
Controller and Auditor-General

29 April 2019